Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A little "kink" in the Gluten-Free plan

So you all know by now that I'm a speech therapist.  Well, one of my (many) jobs is to do feeding therapy.  I haven't had too many feeding kids lately - but I started one today. 

I'm trying to teach him how to move food with his tongue - from the middle to his teeth for chewing.  I gave him one of the staples we have in our clinic - a graham cracker.  We're working, and I realize that I need to model and demonstrate some of this for him.  Oops - can't do that - the graham cracker isn't gluten free.  :(

Thankfully, the mom of this kiddo I have known for a while, and she knows about the gluten-free thing.  I quickly ask if we can switch the crunching to a raw apple, and she agrees.  Whew. Thank goodness for this particular Mom - she's awesome, so understanding, and so very flexible!  She is definitely among the top 5 mom's I've ever had the honor to work with.  (I know you know who you are!)

So - I guess I've got to stock my own gluten-free crackers and feeding items from here on out.  Yet another lesson learned.  

2 comments: