Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 10, 2011

"I Hate that I have to be Gluten Free!"

These were the words our kiddo spoke to me at a birthday party yesterday.  And I had just told the Mom that he was doing well with the diet and knew what he could and couldn't have.  He felt left out.  And the poor Mom of the birthday boy...she apologized a billion times for not remembering our kiddo was GF.  I told her a million times that it was ok - and that I wouldn't expect anyone to remember, and that is why I go to birthday parties prepared with alternatives (yesterday I took grapes and GF cookies).  Kiddo still cried.  He wanted desperately to have some of the yummy looking Sponge Bob birthday cake.  He begged to just try the icing...and I broke down and let him.  I thought while it was probably cross-contaminated, it was basically GF if it was  normal icing.  Wrong.  He had stomach  pains today.  Big time bummer.


http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/novelties/spongebob/spongebob.htm

So - I'm asking...does anyone out there have advice on birthday parties?  Is there something I could be doing differently to make it seem less obvious that he can't be like everyone else?  I'm open to any/all suggestions! 

Otherwise, the summer is going well.  We spent a week going to 6 Flags, and I was very pleasantly surprised to learn that 6 Flags had a printed Gluten Free food suggestion page.  I mean, if they're not going to let you bring in your own food, they better have something suitable, right? 

Ok, back to work tomorrow so I'm off to bed.  Hope you all have a great summer. 
Til next time,
Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment